Illustration and Visual Narrative - Task 2: Composition Continuous

|| 28th April - 8th June(Week 2 - Week 5)
|| Kek Han Shin (0352571) Bachelor of Computer Science
|| Illustration and Visual Narrative
|| Task 2: Composition Continuous (20%)


Task 1: Vormator Challange

🔹Task Description

Given the exact same set of shapes, we are required to create our own unique monster design.
We are allowed to:
✔ rotate
✔ flip
✔ duplicate
✔proportional scaling

But we are not allowed to:
❌skew
❌free transform
❌add, subtract, intersect and group elements

The given shape is as below
Figure 1: Vormator shapes

🔹Visual Research

Before starting the ideation and research, I had a *very* rough sketches that come into my mind when thinking of monsters:
Figure 2: very rough sketch
I wanted either: a robotic creature (since I am a computer science student), a demonic monster with angel rings or a fallen angel. In the end, I decided to continue with Fallen Angels.

Figure 3: studying character design cause I am too clueless...

Hence I did some searching on angels with demonic evil features:
I noticed some characteristics of the appearance:
- angelic wings
- evil sharp eyes
- black tone cape

Hence, by continuing research, I focus on each part's structure to ensure that the Vormator I create is in the right ratio.
The cape:


Flames:
Wings:
By researching both the angelic and demonic features of characters, I noticed that characters like greek gods give the viewer an impression of heavenly, sacred, and supernatural that gives off a strong "magnetic" field around.
Hence, under inspiration, I aimed to create a demonic angel with wings outstretched, conveying a powerful and striking expression through its dynamic pose. 

🔹Process

I worked on parts: of the head and cape separately
For the head I find the "tentacle" shape to be handy when making flowing-looking hair, I think this helps me to achieve that "in motion" visual effect, which I think is important for demonic angel design. It took some time to arrange the layering of each shape to achieve a depth visually.
For the cape, I design a layout consisting of a collar and cloak.

When it comes to the eyes, it took me some time to find the ideal shape for a demonic eye, I wanted to combine it with flames.
For eyes with demon characteristics, I noticed they were in general upward slant and piercing points. Hence at the end, I think it is good to add in flamy shapes.

Next, the body silhouette of the demonic angel is overall done, final part I am adding up wings, again I am stuck in figuring out how to construct the wings based on the given shape without distorting?
I did some brief research:
I noticed that the cobra shape has the most similar shape as an expanded wing.
The initial version has finally been completed
I was not really satisfied, as the character still looks monotonous, I added some patterns on the cape, changing the colour   

After the practical class, Mr Hafiz taught us to apply gradients to add a depth effect, I was excited to try these techniques to select colour palettes and gradients for my design. I did another research, to try and refine the wings of the Vormator.

For my fallen angel character, I wanted to combine red and white elements, red to represent the demonic side and contrasting white to depict the angelic side. The 2 design inspirations for my color palette:


Extracting the colour combination in the tool provided on the adobe colour website.
I implemented the red demonic colour palette on character's body, a white angelic tone to the wings 



🔹Final Submission: The Fallen Angel

With fiery eyes and bright red hair, she is a vision of celestial beauty and infernal power, her glowing wings casting an ethereal light. You might wonder which is true: her angelic or demonic side. One thing is certain, though—her traveller's cape signifies that encountering her is a matter of fate, a rare and fleeting chance.


Task 2: Pokemon Card

🔺Task Description

After designing the vormator character, place it into a Pokemon card composition, incorporating foreground, midground and background elements. In this task, we can now distort the given shapes, or even create new ones.

Requirements:
  • apply colour and shadow to your Vormator character to enhance its visual appeal.
  • design a composition that effectively uses foreground, midground, and background 
  • to create a Pokemon card layout featuring your character
  • a brief description of your Pokemon, and explaining its abilities and characteristics.
The Pokemon card template is below:

🔺Research

For researching I mainly wanted to dive into roman buildings architecture and war zone depiction composition

Foreground midground background examples

🔺Process

For the original character, I just did a little refinement like the shape of the eyes to make it more reasonable-looking
Before:
After:
For the ideation, as my character is the Fallen Angel, the story behind is that it was once a happy and kind angel living amongst other warm and loving angels. However, one day everything collapsed: their home got evaded and she was the only one who was left alive. Tremendous change happened within the moment that she was consumed by the rage of revenge, her hair turned red and her heart turned black.

In this Pokemon card, she will be standing amid a collapsing civilisation, she managed to take revenge and destroy the evaders, eye for eye. 

Starting I start with Roman building illustrating


Placing the refined version of the fallen angel in the composition, and arranging the foreground and background.
Adding a background building to add in more depth effect:
For the background, I used the same color palette to ensure visual consistency

🔹Final Submission: Revengell

Once a happy and kind angel living among other warm and loving angels, she experienced a devastating tragedy when their home was invaded, leaving her as the sole survivor. In that moment of immense loss, rage consumed her, turning her hair fiery red and her heart as dark as night. Now, with her glowing wings and fiery eyes, she stands amid the ruins of a collapsing civilization, having exacted her revenge and destroyed the invaders, an eye for an eye. Her traveller's cape signifies that encountering her is a rare and fateful event, a glimpse of an angel who has embraced both her angelic past and her demonic fury.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Information Design - Project 1: Instructable Poster